My Old Myths About Ayurveda:
My introduction to Ayurveda happened as a young boy, growing up in India! My Mom used to take me to a local Swaminarayan Temple for Ayurveda Medicine for common ailments like cold and fever. Swamiji, the leader of the temple, would check our pulse and dispensed herbal powders to take with honey. Naively, I developed a narrow view of Ayurveda:
1) That it was about the herbal medicine only!
2) Healing takes s long time!
3) There are strict diet restrictions!
None of these were appealing to me and hence, Ayurveda was out of my radar for all these years!
This myth was turned upside down, when I watched Ananta’s Wellness Ambassador Video. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Ayurveda is a holistic approach to living a life, which includes Mind, Body and Soul!
My Ayurveda Lifestyle Changes:
From the very first day of the Wellness Ambassador Program, I made the following meaningful lifestyle changes:
1) Getting out of bed by 6 am instead of lying around till 8 am! If I get up earlier, I feel accomplished and not guilty of sleep deprivation!
2) Drinking two glasses of warm water first thing in the morning, instead of drinking Indian Masala Chai with milk and sugar!
3) Morning workout for 20 to 30 minutes.
4) As a result of both of the above steps, a satisfactory and predictable elimination!
5) Disciplined three meal times: 8 am, noon and 6 pm!
6) No snacking in between meals.
7) For now, till I know the strength of my Agni (Ayurvedic concept of digestive fire), no nuts, no peanut butter, no cold food, including salads or fruits!
8) No dairy.
9) Abandoned use of Microwave. Only stovetop cooking!
10) Added the following daily spiritual practices to complement my Meditation routine:
a. Kara Darshan (Hand Gazing) in the morning before getting out of bed
b. Morning Surya Darshan and appreciation for the Life Energy
c. Water therapy and Gayatri Mantra
I am experiencing the sense of discipline and well-being. The feeling of emptiness and mundane is now getting replaced with higher purpose and optimism. My mind, body and soul seem to be in harmony!
I am grateful to Ananta to get me started on this journey!
Lots of Love, Peace and Joy!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
PRAVIN SHAH came to the USA in 1975 to get his Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Michigan State Uni. He worked for Owens Illinois glass company for 35 years as an Engineer, before retiring in 2007. He is married to his loving and beautiful wife of 42 years. He has two wonderful grown up children and two adorable grandchildren. His Gurus and Role Models, who profoundly influenced my life, are his own Dad, who practiced simplicity and non-attachment, Mahatma Gandhi, Eckhart Tolle, Sister Shivani and Wayne Dyer. He believes thay Ayurveda and the Wellness Ambassador Program are an essential tool and way of holistic living for ultimate liberation.